Saturday, February 7, 2015

Reflection #4



           See The Cat?

            Once there was a street dog whose daily life was monotonously spent in looking for food in garbage cans. This boring life would be disturbed one day when a stray cat passed by in front of him. Instinctively, the dog whose territory was encroached, snarled, showed his sharp, long fangs, and was ready to jump over the poor cat.
            With blitz-like reflexes, the cat scampered away as fast as it could. Challenged all the more, the dog quickly ran after the cat.
            Now, there were other stray dogs that saw the chase. Dictated again by instinct, every dog amusingly just joined in the pursuit until a whole pack of barking canines trailed the sprinting cat.
            After a while, the last dog in the trail must have thought, “Why am I running? I’m just getting tired for nothing. I might as well stop.” And stop running it did.
            The next dog on the last trail must have sensed the same, seeing the last dog that stopped. So he decided to stop, too; so with the next one, and the next, and the next, until no dog was left running. Except for one last dog that still had the same determination of pursuing the cat.
            Who was that dog? You bet. The first one, of course! Why? Because this first dog was the one who actually saw the cat!
            He knew why he was running and what he was running after.
The rest of the pack just trailed along not even knowing why they were running. So when the going yet through, they simply gave up.
            But the dog that clearly saw his reason for running just didn’t stop until he finally got his catch!
It’s the end of another school year – another round of “running” and “chasing” was nearly come to an end.
Lessons to learn. Books to read. Assignment to do. Project deadlines to meet. Grades to earn.b recitations. Quizzes. Long tests. Periodical exams. The list of tasks and challenges goes on. All these stuffs nearly come to an end.
But I asked myself: “Did I know what all these are for?””Did I know why I’m running and what I am chasing?”
If not, I may be excited at the start of the run, but later on tire out and give up. That is, if I haven’t seen clearly what I’m running after.
You know the name of the cat in the story? VISION. You know what you call the “running” of the dog? MISSION.
I’ve got a brand new MISSION this school year. That’s the running part. But I should coupled it with a clear VISION – of what I see I want to achieve or to become. That gave me the fire, the passion, the inspiration, to just keep on going, even when it gets tough. Until I finally get my catch!
My goal – my dream – should be in the form of a clear vision of my “catch.” Like seeing my dad and mom working so hard for me and now embracing me with joy on the day of my graduation, or fast forward it further by seeing myself with a professional title, a good job or business, or traveling abroad, or serving and helping others more on providing well for my family.
“Begin with the end in mind!” That’s what  Stephen Louery, author of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective people, says. That means, run by all means. But clearly see what you’re running after. And see yourself catching it!
See your cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment